Tuesday, February 26, 2008

When you least expect it...

Two full days last week were spent in a conference room talking about data structure. A few of us from our team got together with a bonafide "data guru" (not his official title, but hey, that's what he was!) I know; sounds boring, sounds tedious, sounds tiring. And it could have been. But more than anything it was insightful, it was refreshing, it was encouraging. I came away with a lighter heart...and a brain packed so full of information I couldn't even begin to process. (Of course I was sick at the same time, so that could have been why as well...)

Today I started really thinking about last week. About what I learned. And it suddenly occured to me. I learned a lot more than data structure, than the best way to use our system. I learned some things about life too. Guess you just never know when or how God might teach you something...or remind you of things you already knew.

  • Maybe sometimes your instincts are right, and you just need to dig a little further. Sometimes you just need to trust yourself.
  • Don't be afraid of the unknown.
  • If you think there must be an easier way, there just might be.
  • Ask the right questions.
  • Don't assume anything.
  • Just because something has always been done one way, doesn't mean it's right.
  • Sometimes you know more than you realize.
  • Some changes aren't as big as you may think.
  • Others are.
  • Sometimes you just need to ask for help. You don't have to do everything on your own.
  • A little extra work now, may save you time later. Sometimes you need to think ahead before moving forward.
  • While it may be possible to do something, and be seemingly effectively, that doesn't mean it's right. You never know how one thing may effect another.
  • Everyone has a story.
  • God has a plan bigger than all of us.
  • 1 comment:

    david mcmahon said...

    G'day from Australia. I came here from Colleen's blog.

    I strongly identify with this post. One of the things I;ve always said right through my career as a professional journalist is what you said - ``everyone has a story''.