Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fear and Coping in Indiana

As many of you have probably heard, and for those of you who are disconnected and are currently unaware, some terrorists were caught in the last stages of a plan to blow up planes heading out of London - one of which being a flight from London to the United States. On Monday the 21st/Tuesday the 22nd my India team and I will be on one such flight. They are still unsure if all the plans have been thwarted or not. The news stopped me in mid-brush with toothpaste foaming in my mouth, trying not to drop my jaw or have a minor panic attack.
I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone at the church yet, but I have heard (if reading multiple articles online counts as a "heard") that they are really beefing up security on airplanes...including no liquids of ANY KIND to be taken on the plane - including lotion! And flights coming into the U.S. are being highly monitored, including some flights leaving London today only allowed passengers to take a clear plastic bag with their keys, wallet and money on board with them - all other items had to be checked. Can you imagine a 10 hour flight with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs?!?

I keep praying that some of these restrictions will mellow - our country is currently in a Code Red state, the highest ever and the first time it has ever needed to be used. (I would atleast like to have a book with me...) And thankfully our team was already planning on checking our luggage, which simplifies our upcoming trip now.

Although I found myself questioning God this morning...wondering if Satan is trying to discourage us (which by the way is NOT going to happen) or why God would allow this to happen.

And then it hit me - this could possibly God's way of protecting us. Security will be tighter than ever, but in the long run our inconvenience is not worth our safety. We will still get to India. We will still have the opportunity to leave fingerprints and teethmarks. We will still get to learn from some amazing women who truly put it all on the line. We still get home safely - probably more confidently now than before. I told God "yes" when he called me to go to India - and I still feel his call now. And I am still saying yes.

No comments: