Monday, April 24, 2006

Flashing Neon Signs

Some of my girlfriends and I are always pondering what life would be like if God sent us flashing neon signs. Now we aren't talking about signs to tell us which way to turn or what restaurant to go to, but some obvious signals about the major decisions we are all called to make in life. Such as, for example, where to go to college, what to do with my life, who to date, who to marry, where to live, what next step we are supposed to be taking.

We sometimes wish that when thinking about a guy to date that God would send us a huge flashing neon "YES" (or gigantic green checkmark) or a "NO" (a monstrous red X would work as well) in order to help avoid some of the pain and frustration that occurs when dating the most definite WRONG person.

But recently I started thinking about our request, and wondering, how many times does God send us a God-version of a flashing neon sign and we choose to ignore it. Or perhaps we purposefully "read" it wrong in hopes that our own desires will sway God's. What if God really did send us a red X or green checkmark - would we finally listen? Would we take His "advice" or would we just chose to do our own thing anyway?

I've come to realize that the person we become is a reflection of how we chose to learn from our past and our mistakes. If I hadn't dated some REALLY wrong people, I wouldn't know what I want in a man. Qualities I used to think I liked, now drive me crazy after experiencing them first hand in dating, and things I thought I would hate, I really kinda like now. (Shoot I dated a redneck thinking all boys from the South were good ole boys like The Dukes of Hazzard - had to learn THAT the hard way!)

I still often wish for Flashing Neon Signs, only now, I am finding out that sometimes I already know the answer. That God has already spoken to my heart, and I dont need a green checkmark, I just need to trust in Him and believe in myself.

1 comment:

QueenB said...

Yes I loved it... good thought!