Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thoughts from my time away...

Over the last few days when I was down at my grandmother's house I had plenty of time (well, more than plenty, almost too much time) to think. I took a couple of amazing books with me and now they warrant some blog time...

I am currently reading Rob Bell's new book, Sex God. Talk about a title you want to hide from your grandmother. Being 87 years old, who knows what her reaction might be, or the conversation that might emerge from the title of this book...

Anyway, one main thought has been processing through my brain over the last few days, initiated by this book...and constantly brought back to the forfront of my brain through some conversations...

"When Jesus talks about heaven and hell, they are first and foremost present realities that have serious implications for the future. Either can be invited to earth, right now, through our actions. It's possible for heaven to invade earth. And it's possible for hell to invade earth."

Ironically a very similar thought hit me through another book I had finished reading before picking up this one. We all have the power to help bring heaven to earth. And we all have the power to bring hell to earth as well. Often times without even realizing it. Is it possible that any actions, or lack of actions, we take will always initiate one of the two? And if so, how often do I actually stop and think about every single thing I do or don't do, as well as if those are bringing heaven or hell to earth. How many times in my life have I inadvertently brought hell to earth without even realizing it? Am I helping to bring heaven to earth more than I am hell? And if this is the case, every one of us holds the power to change this world.

Talk about something to think about...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Whoa...those are some thoughts! Thanks for posting this...it's a lot to think about. Love you!