Thursday, April 05, 2007

Bruchko

I just got done reading one of the most amazing, thought-provoking books I may have possibly ever read. While this may seem extreme to some of you (being that I am quite the reader), trust me. Read the book. I don't know if anyone could walk away from this book unchanged.

Not too long ago Rob was teaching on a Thursday night and had started telling the story of a young missionary in Colombia. He mentioned a book that was this man's story - a book he said was amazing. So naturally, I had to read it.


Maybe my new found favorite book hit me so hard because of my love for India and missions. Maybe it hit me so hard because it took me outside of my comfort zone. Maybe it hit me so hard because I yearn for the kind of trust and faith in God that this guy never seemed to lose. Maybe it hit me so hard because it was someone's story. Maybe it hit me so hard because it all started with a 19 year old. Maybe it hit me so hard because so many things hit home.


Read this book.


It's worth the time.


Just beware, it may open your eyes and change your life.


Here's a glimpse of Bruchko:


"Teenager Bruce Olson set out as a missionary with very little money, no support from a mission agency, and an intense desire to win an previously unreached tribe to Jesus Christ. He was was broke, starving, shot by arrows, tortured, had almost 5 or 6 almost lethal diseases, lived in filth, and only personally led one person to Christ among the tribe that he was called to share the gospel.


But God had called him there, and the result of the one person he led to Christ led to revolution of love among the Indian populations in Colombia. Then he spends his life among Motilone Indians that few white men had ever seen and even fewer had lived to tell about. How God used the simple ministry of this dedicated young Christian to eventually lead seventeen tribes to Jesus is one of the greatest missionary accounts of the century."

No comments: