Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Full Moons and Public Places don't mix...

So...I already posted today about rainy day blues - how the weather effects those people who tend to visit the place known as the public library. I didn't realize at the time that today is the full moon. While many people may shrug at the thought of the full moon correlating with strange things happening, those of us who work at your local library vehemently disagree....

For example....my morning....

I'm working, doing my thing, when very concerned woman comes up to the desk and whispers that she thinks we need to call the police because of a man in the library. I asked her to explain (thinking in my head that she is just spazzing about something that isn't important) And she says he is talking to himself, that she wasnt concerned about it at first... until he started talking as if people were around him - telling them to get away and threatening to kill them. At this point she was freaked out and I must admit, I sure as heck was too! I mean, we don't have security during the day at the library and we only have one man who works here and I could protect us better than he could - but anyway - I asked her to tell the head of the library and I ran to find my boss. Since my boss is a intelligent woman, she wants to hear if in fact this is going on BEFORE she would call in the police...after about 2 minutes the police were called...

They show up and ask the man to go outside with them. Apparently he decided to reach into his pocket while being lead outside, which caused the officers to start reaching for their guns. Yes guns. Thank goodness the guy put his hands at his sides so no firearms were needed in the library.

THEN as he was outside apparently he told the police that he was undercover with the CIA. Is this sounding like something out of a movie or what! So the police, after 15 minutes of calling people and having 3 cop cars outside the library, they determine that he is delusional and has a history of this kind of behavior, but THANK GOD has never acted on it! They went ahead and took him in to have him taken to Madison Center for our own safety to have them check on him.

Oh, did I forget to mention, that I KNOW THIS GUY! I grew up with his family in my church!! It's kind of disturbing to see someone you somewhat grew up with (he's 4 years older) causing a stir at my place of employment! He comes to the library somewhat regularly and occasionally visits the other library as well, but has never been like this before that any of us had witnessed...

Maybe he hasn't taken his medication...or maybe it's the full moon....who knows....all I know is that I was thoroughly freaked out...and all this before 11 AM....

And people think the library is boring!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my! Well, let me tell ya, I surely don't think the library is a boring place! haha! catch ya later!

Anonymous said...

God bless Madison Center!! :) I'm glad everything turned out OK. That's even better than a crazy ER story!! See you soon!

Jonathan Anderstrom said...

Just you wait until this story reaches the ears of the library president. Next year he'll make self-defense classes mandatory for all library workers!