Thursday, November 17, 2005

Matter of Perspective

When I awoke this morning, silly me didn't think to look out the window. While I knew before going to bed that there was a chance of the white stuff sticking to the ground, I believe I was in denial and pushed it to the back of my brain. Then I pulled out of the garage. The whole way to work I was thinking...uggg...snow! Then I passed by two girls walking to school. They had huge smiles in between their rosy cheeks and were trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. It made me stop and think, have I started taking for granted the beauty of snow? Have I become cynical? If one of the ways I connect with God is through nature, then why am I complaining about something so beautiful?! Sure everyone hates driving in snow...and if it is raining...and if its foggy...I mean shoot we even get ticked off at the sun when we are driving and it is blinding us or pounding down on us through the windows! When did I lose the beauty of new fallen snow? When did I start groaning at the word snow instead of jumping up and down from too much excitement bottled up inside of me?

When I was a kid my dad would always wake us up the morning of the first snow by singing Winter Wonderland...I would always get so excited when it snowed because not only did we get fun stuff to play outside in, my daddy would sing to us...even as we got older and kinda gave him that "Daaaaaad what are you doing" look, he did it anyway and we secretly loved it! It was our thing and we still look forward to it. Even though my dad lives in Florida now, whenever he sees on the weather channel that it is snowing here, he calls us and sings.

I can tell that child inside of me is still alive and kicking...God is still trying to move me to be in awe of the things He does and to praise Him for everything...even snow...last year God was trying to get through - one night I was walking through the Meijer parking lot with Tara and I just stopped and looked up...all I could see was the black sky, and HUGE snowflakes falling slowly down around me. I just stood there in awe of the beauty of it all...and of course Tara (and I am sure most of the other Meijer guests) thought I was losing my mind...God apparently didn't care where I was at- and I am glad. Last year my sister and I built snowmen and some of us had a snow fight and I made snow angels, but this year I have decided I want to let the inner child - scary I know - out to play in the snow ...many many times...

1 comment:

Jonathan Anderstrom said...

Thanks for the story. I needed to be reminded that snow is something that God gives us. Plus, I'm the one that chose to live here!