Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Feeling Violated

We have a door that leads out of the garage and into the backyard. With the renovations on our house, that door has gotten an extremely large amount of use lately and it wasn't a very good door to begin with.

Last night when we went to shut it, we noticed that it wasn't lining up right. It wouldn't shut, and pieces of the trim around it were coming off. The extra padlock wouldn't line up either. We started to wonder if someone had tried to break in. It's been obvious to people driving by that we are having work done on our house - and often times that leads to break-ins, and trying to steal the expensive tools used with any remodeling project.

While I was trying to keep a level head and think logically, a part of me did start to wonder "What if..."

About an hour later my mom called to me again - the construction guys put up plywood to block off the remodeling room from the rest of the house. My mom noticed that a piece of trim that the plywood was attached to was missing and pieces of the plywood had littered the floor.

Odd I thought. But it wasn't until we thought further that we started to question how nothing seemed to fit - the door, the plywood. The guys hadn't been working on our house that day, and we assumed they had taken their tools out of the garage, but it just seemed kind of suspicious. Thankfully we called the guy doing the work and found out that yes, they had the tools and that most likely his co-worker had come by and decided to remove the plywood only to reach resistance.

Even though we are pretty positive no one was in our house that didn't belong, that still didn't keep me from feeling violated. The thought, even though brief, of someone else in my house really bothered me. And made me question how secure I feel in my own home. Kinda funny how something that never happened, can make you feel completely uncomfortable.

Needless to say, the door is getting fixed as we speak - that is if the workmen can get through all our baricades to make sure it kept unwanted people out last night. Yep, we're nothing if not resourceful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Blogger is letting me post a comment finally. Back to the real subject, I don't blame you for feeling that way. It's always weird to have strangers working on your house. Thankfully John has some buddies who do construction so that always helps. I hope the work gets done soon so you can go back to feeling safe!