Wednesday, October 31, 2007

You just never know...

Weird things seem to happen to me. Not necessarily extreme things, just things that don't normally happen in every day life. Today was no different.

I'm going to be completely honest and put it out there that I haven't been to a dentist in over 5 years. (If you are done shaking your head in disapproval, continue on...) I know it's not healthy, but it's true. So I finally found a new dentist and went it today expecting the worse.

Everything was going along fine with my cleaning - no horrifying gasps from the hygienist, no tsks tsks about my dental habits. And then the doctor came in.

When the doctor and the hygienist start talking about your x-rays and there is a sound of confusion and wonder, one starts to get concerned. Of course my mind kicks into high gear thinking "I knew it! I knew something was horribly wrong!" The doctor starts looking into my mouth, feeling around and then asks if I have had my wisdom teeth removed. I told him I had to which I got a reply of "hmmm".

He then tells me that there is something showing up on my x-rays that is very strange. Something that looks like part of a tooth in the back of my mouth where I had my wisdom teeth removed, yet it is not attached to any bone. Just kind of free floating under the surface. Immediately my mind reverts back to the recovery room of my oral surgeon's office - 6 years ago - when I was told part of my tooth was lost and that I would need to be wheeled over to the hospital to get x-rays of my lungs taken.

Is it all making sense yet?

Yep. The missing part of my tooth has been found. Still in my mouth. Not where it belongs. Hanging out. Six years later.

Only me.

No comments: