Monday, December 04, 2006

Change of Heart

When I was a kid I LOVED snow! I loved everything about it!

Somewhere along the line I turned cynical about snow. Last year I started to see snow for the beautiful thing it was, and although I still loved playing in the snow, only occasionally did I truly enjoy snow.

This year things have changed.

A few weeks ago I was chatting with my friend who is from Indiana, but is living in California. And something he said really stuck with me. He said he misses frost, scraping off his car, snow, all of the winter things we all tend to despise. All the things that he doesn't have in California.

It really made me stop and think - wow this should be a blessing to me. Even though snow frustrated me, the thought of living somewhere else without the seasons changing, without the temperature changing, without snow or cold for Christmas. I don't think I could live like that.

So I really started thinking and questioning...why had I become so pessimistic about snow and frost...I love nature, I connect to God through nature. And it suddenly hit me.

Last year God kept sending little moments - snippets - of the beauty he was trying to bless me with in the form of winter. One day last winter I was walking into Meijer with a friend and I happened to look up at the falling snow. It was absolutely beautiful how the light was coming through the flakes and gently falling on my face. Or one wintry morning when I saw a child catching snowflakes on his tongue.

This year I finally got "me" back. Last week I was actually broken hearted that the predicted snow didn't come. I missed it like I did as a child. And everyone thought I was crazy. Only this time, I didn't care. I wanted snow.

And this weekend it came :) And it was absolutely beautiful.

3 comments:

Sarah B said...

im sure in time we will get you back...haha....BUT i am glad you were able to see God in the snow...i mean i have my moments too, just not when im driving in it ;-) see you thursday!!

Laura said...

Oh how true that is! I must say, after living in TX, I'm set with living somewhere with all the seasons. I'm glad you finally got some snow! Love you!

Melissa said...

I love reading your posts and seeing your heart! You're amazing friend and I mean that from the heart of my bottom...I mean.... :) Hehehe...