Friday, December 29, 2006

Thinking

The last few days have been filled with thinking, contemplating, questiong and flat out ignoring. While that may sound like an odd combination on paper (or webpage), in reality I believe most of us do this quite often. I find myself thinking sometimes and then choosing to flat out ignore what I don't want to hear. I call it selective thinking.

For one example - a few weeks ago I started reading the book In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson. Its a book about fear. Part of me didn't want to read it at all because it talks extensively about facing your fears, and going after the risks. I am not one who likes to do so. I actually put it down on multiple occasions because it was hard for me to read. The words on the page frightened me enough. But yesterday and today I started reading again. This time truly thinking about the things I didn't want to deal with. And I learned a lot about myself that I don't like. A few things I knew already and thought I had dealt with, but hadn't. Things in my past and past relationships had instilled fear in me - the self-preservation mode that I have lived in for so many years. The steps I had taken were not nearly drastic enough. And I realized that I need to learn to fully trust God. How, I don't know. God and I are working on that. I just know that I am tired of living this way. This is not the person I want to be.

Its ironic how I can look behind me and see how far I have come, even in the last year, but then I look ahead and see how far I have to go still. And I need to remember that I am never going to be perfect. And thats okay.

1 comment:

Laura said...

you're right, you'll never be perfect (nor will i), but I love you anyway!