Sunday, December 31, 2006

The calm of morning

If you have known me for more than a few minutes, you know that I am not a morning person. I hate having to get up out of my warm bed - given the chance, I will go back to bed at any time. Only recently did I start to contemplate why.

As a child I was a morning person. I liked to get up early and go walking (or in my case running) with dad. Didn't matter what time it was, I would get up and love it! I wouldn't even be tired later that day. I think my transition to a night person came with the high school/college years. All my friends stayed up extremely late and over time I too was able to stay up later and later.

In more recent years I think my night tendencies drew from two things. One - I am too social for my own darn good and I love spending time with people, so I tend to stay out later than I should to be with them. And two - I enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of the night. My house very rarely is silent. Very rarely do I get to sit and enjoy being by myself. I have just naturally changed my habits over time so that I go to bed later than everyone else so I can enjoy time doing whatever I want to do. I love this time I have. The only problem is that normally I am so tired and wornout after my day that all I do is veg. Occasionally I will read, but normally not something that requires too much thinking.

Only this morning did I discover the calmness of morning.

Due to circumstances out of my control, I had to get up early. (or in other words there was a little dog waiting for me to drive over and save his little bladder and fill his never-ending tummy) Hearing my alarm go off after only 5 hours of sleep most definitely did not thrill me. But I pulled myself up, brushed my teeth and headed out to my car on this rainy morning. In my eyes it was not shaping up to be a top notch day. But something changed during the 15 minute drive. I noticed how peaceful everything was. I started seeing God in the morning. I started talking to God in the morning, truly talking. I started to see what I had taken for granted. The calm of the morning that comes just as the calm of night does. Only this time, I wasn't worn out from my day. I didn't want to "veg". I wanted to be with God.

And this morning I was.

For the first time in a long time I was truly, completely with God. And I heard Him take a sigh of relief that I was finally in tune to his quiet call on my life.

Things have changed in the last two hours as others have been sleeping. Boy have things been changing...

No comments: