Friday, March 02, 2007

Lions and Tigers and Dust Bunnies OH MY!

I am sure most of you have heard of the term “dust bunnies” before. Well I have come up with a term of my own – dust colonies.

I recently decided to undertake an extreme re-organization and cleaning project in my bedroom. I have a trundle bed – for those of you who are know questioning what the heck a trundle bed is, it is a bed with a second bed hidden underneath, to be pulled out when needed. It is something of a space saver. Unfortunately the combination of the size of my room with the amount of furniture and its arrangement have left me with a trundle bed that cannot trundle. Which normally would not bother me, except there is a problem: I cannot get underneath the back corner of my bed to vacuum. So in order to better my health I decided to move the alternate bed to the basement, leaving me with an applicable amount of space with which to clean, as well as extra storage space…much needed for me!!

I have today off from work so I was pumped to get started! In my excitement apparently I lost my common sense. As I was dragging the mattress across the floor and then attempting to angle it down the staircase, it kept occurring to me how stupid I was being to try to do this by myself. But me and my stubborn streak that tends to appear at the most inopportune moments pressed on. Midway through the mattress flying down the stairs with me running in my socks quickly along side it I realized how incredibly dumb I was being. First for trying this on my own, and second for trying to catch up to the mattress in socks, on linoleum stairs, when the mattress clearly would stop once it hit the bottom. I must say I did smarten up when it came to the metal frame the mattress sits on. I merely moved it out of my room to allow for the rest of the cleaning and organizing to begin, waiting for help later this evening. (I must admit though that I only came to this conclusion after realizing there was no physical way for me to get it downstairs by myself that would not result in serious injury or death)

Upon grabbing the long handled vacuum I got to work pulling everything out from under my bed that had over the years been pushed back or fallen around the sides. And what did I find. Dust colonies. Huge ones. Bigger than my head. Okay, not bigger than my head, but bigger than my hand! If I didn’t know better I would have jumped out of fright of the creatures that had been living under my bed.

So what have I learned today…hardwood floors, trundle beds and dust don’t mix.

1 comment:

House of Virtue said...

Stumbled on your blog, loved it...you can say it again, "lovin Jesus is definitely worth it!"