Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Years Resolutions...

I've never been real great at keeping my new year's resolutions. By the 3rd week of January I tend to get distracted or forget what was so important to me. This year I am more determined than ever to keep my "resolutions" - these are things I have been thinking about doing or already working on trying to do and I decided this was the time to make it happen.

I'm blogging my resolutions partially as reminder to myself but mainly to let everyone know what goals I have set in my future. Please help keep me accountable on these - even when I may not want you to....

1. Lose 40 lbs and get back in shape - 20 lbs will be by my birthday, June 3rd, and the other 20 by Christmas next year.
2. Read more Christian books or books with Christian's morals and values than books without.
3. Read the Bible in one year

The crazy thing about these goals I have set is that the one I wrestled with the longest is #3. As much as I hate to admit it, I have never read the entire Bible. I have gone to church my entire life and have yet to read every word of God's Word. I have thought about making this commitment many times and I have to say that I wasn't going to make this one of my resolutions this year. I was trying to ignore it - hoping it would go away - only it didn't and I realized how little of my time God was asking for...I sometimes get so caught up in everything else I forget that God wants some time as well. So, I did what I didn't want to do, and I put my commitment to read the Bible in a year in writing. Black ink. Permanent. Written on paper. Written on my heart. I found this reading guide online so I can physically see what I need to read each day and be able to mark it off once I have read it. I started last night (already behind after not starting on the first) and already I am learning new things - even from Genesis! Who woulda thunk!

The ironic thing about my resolutions this year is that all three of these things are included in not only how I want to live out this year, but how I want to live out my life. When I look back at the "places" I have been in other new years it's amazing how much I have changed - this year I am not trying to accomplish these unattainable goals alone...I am changing my lifestyle bit by bit - only not alone - with amazing friends and a father in heaven who will help me through...

No comments: