Monday, May 14, 2007

My marshmallow

Temptation. What entices me. How to resist temptation. Who will help me along the way. These are all things flowing through my thoughts since Saturday night. And they all have to do with marshmallows.

This weekend at GCC Rob delivered a message that hit to the core at an unexpected time. He asked us what our marshmallows, otherwise known as our temptations, were. I have known for a while two of my temptations and lately they have been fairly inactive. I have taken steps to keep them under control and I found myself listening to the message, but not having it hit anywhere close to home. I took the message more of a reminder for when the two temptations I was aware of hit.

Then he said something that I didn’t really listen to. He said when we left church that night we would be hit with temptation. I didn’t really see how this was possible.

Within a few hours I was being hit. Only I wasn’t prepared. This was a marshmallow I didn’t even consider to be a marshmallow. And the next day another marshmallow appeared. These two things had been a part of my life and who I am and how I function for so long that it never even occurred to me that they were marshmallows as well. And satan being the ever sneaky guy that he is, always tries to bring me down at night. When its late, I’m tired and my defenses are down. Those times when you just want to take the easy way out.

It’s times like these that I am so thankful that I am not alone. I have some amazing people in my life who remind me of who I am and how faithful God is. They lift me up and fight for me when I feel like I can’t fight for myself. We truly do life together. And thankfully last night when I was struggling and feeling the pull of the easy way out, one of them was there. She is one of the most amazing friends a person could ever ask for and she has fought for me time and time again when satan decides to reek havoc in my life. God always provides a way out to stand up to temptation. And I believe often times it comes in the form of community. Rob also said if you fight the battle alone, you will fail. And I truly believe that. If I had tried to battle alone last night, without God and without my best friend, I may have taken the quick, easy road. Which in the end, would have been the more painful, lonely road.

I know what my marshmallows are…and I know there are people fighting right along side me.

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

No comments: