Monday, January 14, 2008

The Experience

I help work on two websites. That's part of my job and I love it. There is a downside to it though--it becomes increasingly difficult to surf the Internet. Confused? Thinking that makes no sense? Oh just wait. Hear me out...

Before my days as a "web girl" there were always sites that bothered me. Ones that I would shy away from. Ones that took too long to find what I wanted. In this world where Google is one click away, why would you want to stay on a site that makes life more difficult. There's always another site waiting to give you the information you so long for. My time is precious and I have a goal in mind when I surf the Internet (well, except for nights when you can't sleep but you aren't fully awake enough to do anything of value, so you mindlessly click and scroll the minutes by...but that's another blog.)

Yesterday I saw an ad in a store promoting their new website. It looked sleek, it looked simple, it looked friendly. It caught my attention. I was hooked and decided the first chance I got I had to check it out. Let's just say I was left disappointed. The top few inches of the site were amazing. I loved it. Then I started scrolling. There was so much to look at I didn't hardly know what to do next. I was so overwhelmed I felt like a two year old at their first Christmas. I didn't stick around.

Tonight on my way home I heard a radio ad pushing a different website. The focus of the entire commercial was driving people to the web. It worked. I got curious about what the hype was about. Oddly enough, it's the same website this company has had for a while now and it is still not improved. I felt gilted somehow. And it made my head hurt. Four elements of a homepage moving or flashing at me. Too much for someone who is easily distracted. I could have overlooked all the "glitz and glamour" going on if the site was easy to navigate, easy to find what I was looking for. Sadly, it wasn't. Once again I left the web disappointed.

Our lives are busy enough - the last thing we need is to waste our precious time combing through a website, desperately searching for what we seek, only to leave frustrated. In the words of Kem Meyer, I want Less Clutter, Less Noise.

Please.

No comments: