Friday, January 18, 2008

Downtime

I am a fairly busy person. And I like it that way. I love being around people. I love having things to do. I love being random.

But I've found that I also need some downtime.

Before the holidays I had a groove that was working pretty well for me. I switched my workouts to the morning, which left free time after my work day, and at least two evenings a week I tried to just "be" - no plans, no schedule, no "have to's"

Last week was an insanely crazy week at work. This week was an emotionally draining week. And I knew what I desperately needed more than anything - downtime. Quiet time. Me time. So I made an executive decision - to stay home on a Friday night. All by myself; eating what I wanted, watching what I wanted, doing whatever I wanted.

It was glorious.

It was what I needed.

How often do we get caught up in the pace of life that we forget how to slow down and just "be"? Why has society made time alone such a taboo thing for anyone under 60? Does anyone else find themselves struggling to take a sabbath? Sometimes I find myself forgetting that commandment or convincing myself that it somehow isn't that important.

Then I have a night like tonight, and I just know. I know why I feel so much better after relaxing - because that's how God made me. That's how I'm wired. It's just one more step in keeping myself in alignment with God.

No comments: