Tuesday, October 31, 2006

India

I miss India. A lot. Right now, as I type, there is another team from GCC most likely laying their heads down to sleep after a long, hard day of manual labor. They are helping to rebuild homes in the Tsunami zone, and it sounds like they are having an amazing time.

I have found that one of the highlights of my day is to log onto their blog site to read the stories and see the pictures of what they are accomplishing as well as who they are surrounded by. It only truly hit me 10 minutes ago how much my heart is aching for India. And it was brought on by one of the most random things – beef jerky.

When all of us were packing for India, we stocked our bags with all sorts of non-perishable food items in the case of there wasn’t much we could/want to eat, or if we were hungry while on the trip to or from, we would be all set. Ironically, the only time in India we busted out the food was on our last night – we all got back to the hotel after the restaurant had closed and we couldn’t order pizza again (the nice man wasn’t working the desk that night…) so we dined on tuna, beef jerky, peanut butter and crackers, nuts and assorted granola bars. And we thought it was great!

And I can tell the team currently in India now feels the same. They just blogged about a care package of food that was sent with them made by a woman from GCC…

Its kinda crazy how something like beef jerky could pull my heart strings and bring back all kinds memories of my time in India.

I have to go back….hopefully sooner rather than later…

No comments: