Friday, September 07, 2007

All About Who?

The last few weeks God has been doing some amazing things in my life. It seems like many of my blogs cover the same time period, but I keep getting hit with new realizations. God keeps moving, so I'm going to keep blogging :)

I've been thinking about prayer a lot lately. Not so much on the "deep" "philosophical" level, more of the "smack me over the head why the heck has it taken me so long to get this" level. I realized that my prayer life is selfish. Not selfish in the way most people think of selfish. But selfish in a scarier way.

I was praying for "things" - for "miracles" - for "guidance" - for "connection". But I was neglecting to do one of the most important things. Thank God for the prayers He answered. And thank Him for the prayers He didn't. I realized after the urgency of the moment passed, and things were resolved, I haphazardly thanked God and proceeded to move on. I wasn't thanking Him with the energy He deserved!

I really started to see this a few weeks ago. There was an urgent prayer in my life - I found myself praying harder, stronger, with others, by myself, throughout the entire day. And when God took care of it, I truly started to thank Him. I still haven't stopped thanking Him - it was that important. And that's when it started to hit me.

Why don't I do this all the time?

Shouldn't every prayer that gets answered deserve a "Thanks"?

Don't we all sometimes just want to hear a simple "Thank You"?

Doesn't God deserve that the most? And yet, when we neglect to do so, He keeps on giving - keeps on answering - keeps on loving us.

No comments: